Saturday, May 7, 2011

Our Celebration of the Royal Wedding


Our version of a wedding cake!

Call me silly, but the closer the wedding day of William and Kate got, the more excited I got!  I even bought bunting and matching paper plates and napkins!  (they were the Union Jack with a heart in the middle, I also forgot to use them!)  I have very fond memories of a formal slumber party with my female colleagues from Butler Shoes in Atlanta.   We brought our best nightgowns, got up at 3am, toasted Charles and Diana with Mimosas (or Buck's Fizz depending on what country you live in) and ate beignets.  It was one of those magic memories, even though we had to leave for the drive to work before Charles kissed Diana.

This time around, it was a smaller occasion which seemed odd.  But many people in Scotland were not as excited about the wedding as other countries.  In fact, mine was the only house on the street with bunting, and there was no chance of a street party.  (sadly, there was a street party in Glasgow that ended in violence and deaths. Not good advertising for Scotland) 

My friend, Sue, and I decided on a menu for our "wedding lunch".  She was bringing Salmon Wellington for Mom and me, and Beef Wellington for Alan.  I provided the starter, which was a selection of salads from Marks and Spencers. And for dessert - cupcakes!  I was really pleased with my cupcakes and used them as the centrepiece!


With Alan's job having such an early start, he went to bed really early and I just got more and more carried away with preparations!  Complete with polishing silver at midnight!  I used wine glasses Martin gave me ages ago, which I had never used, chilled champagne and used my best dishes, so the table looked wonderful when I finally forced myself to go to bed.  (days later I discovered the paper plates I bought.  They are so specific to the wedding I will have to wait maybe to celebrate the first anniversary!)
Toasting the couple after our wonderful lunch

The wedding itself was wonderful, with the bride looking as beautiful and happy as possible.  We all watched every moment of it. Even Alan watched, but mostly in a different room. Our enjoyment was probably just a bit too "female". 

After missing the last Royal kiss in 1981, I loved the headline on the next day's paper ( I don't remember which paper though)  -

"After waiting years for a Royal kiss, two come by at once!"







No comments:

Post a Comment